I’m always looking for ways to swap over expensive, chemical-laden beauty products with more natural alternatives. Coconut oil is the perfect in this sense- it’s cheap, simple and completely natural, making it one of the safest and most useful beauty products you can keep in your bathroom cabinet.
- Shaving your legs: still spending a fortune on overpriced shaving creams and gels? Coconut oil works just as well, if not better than products marketed as shaving gels, and will moisturize your skin as you shave. Slather about half of a handful onto both legs and feel the razor glide along more smoothly than ever before.
- Moisturize your skin: coconut oil can easily replace most of your skin lotions. Use it on your face and body for the ultimate moisturizing treatment.
- Remove your makeup: skip your usual makeup remover and use coconut oil instead. Simply swipe over eyes and cheeks with a cotton pad covered in coconut oil- even stubborn waterproof eye makeup will easily slide away.
- Smooth your cuticles down: rub a small amount of coconut oil onto your nails to fix up peeling skin and jagged edges. Regularly applying coconut oil to your nails can help strengthen them and keep your manicure looking perfect for longer.
- Soften your lips: got chapped lips but no lip balm available? Coconut oil will nourish and moisturize your lips in no time. Make your own small jar of oil and carry it around in your handbag for shiny smooth lips on the go.
- Exfoliate your skin: you can make your own handmade exfoliator by mixing up half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of brown sugar. Leave it in a jar in your shower and rub all over your skin when you need a good scrub down.
- Deep-condition your hair: there’s no need to buy expensive deep conditioning salon hair products when you have coconut oil in the house. Massage the oil through the ends of your hair once a week, then leave on overnight. Be careful to cover your pillow with a cloth to avoid staining your sheets with oil. Rinse out in the morning for instantly softer, more manageable hair.
- Whiten your teeth: many people swear by the healing power of coconut oil when it comes to oral hygiene. You can make your own natural toothpaste by combining the oil with a small amount of baking soda. Rub on your teeth daily for a whiter, healthier small, or rinse the oil around your mouth to try out the ayurvedic oil pulling method.
- Soothe itchy skin: dry, irritated skin can be a nightmare in the summer. Rub coconut oil on your legs, arms and anywhere else that itches for instant relief.
- Massage away stretch marks: while stretch marks are largely genetic, massaging coconut oil onto your skin during pregnancy can help keep the skin moisturized and improve its elasticity, preventing the severity of those annoying little lines. Rub them on your tummy every day and night, and carry on postpartum to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Photo: © Depositphotos.com / belchonock